Attorneys for the maritime worker
since 1970

Maritime Lawyers Who Know How To Litigate Wrongful Death Cases

If your loved one died as a result of an accident on a commercial vessel at sea, there is something very important you must be aware of: There is a significant difference in the amount of damages available to your family for death on the high seas, compared to land-based legal remedies or deaths occurring on a boat or vessel plying an inland waterway.

It is critically important that your attorney is aware of the various issues involved in a wrongful death claim.

Maritime Cases Require Unique Legal Skill And Experience

Filing a wrongful death lawsuit for a death occurring in an industrial accident on land is not the same as a claim for death on the high seas or a Jones Act wrongful death claim.

When death occurs on the high seas, there may be limitations on the amount that surviving family members can sue the shipowner for damages. Your attorney will need experience seeking damages from every possible avenue, such as the shipowner, the manufacturer of a defective piece of equipment and even other crew members. There may also be different deadlines for filing that apply, depending upon the circumstances of the accident and death.

A Track Record Of Success

At the Law Offices of Cavin and Marks, Jr. & Associates, in Oakland, California, our firm offers the specific experience, knowledge and skills needed to help you get the maximum compensation for your family.

We have been fighting on behalf of seamen and their families in the maritime trades for more than 45 years. Our seaman’s wrongful death attorneys have recovered some of the most significant Jones Act claims on record. We work with a network of independent professionals in port and waterway cities across the nation to provide local counsel for plaintiff families.

Call Today For Answers

Do you believe you have a wrongful death claim? Call the Law Offices of Cavin and Marks, Jr. & Associates, in Oakland, California, today at 510-291-4743 or 888-340-7991. You also can contact us through our website.