Lyle C. Cavin, Jr.
Lyle C. Cavin, Jr. has been a practicing trial lawyer for 51 years, specializing in maritime law representing seamen, longshoremen and fishermen. He received his J.D. degree from Golden Gate Law School and is a member of the Consumer Attorneys of California, Western Trial Lawyers Association, San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association and Past-President of the Alameda-Contra Costa Trial Lawyers Association. He is admitted and qualified to appear before all of the federal and state courts in California.
He is also a Fellow of the American Board of Trial Advocates. He has extensive trial experience in both state and federal courts. He has participated as a panelist in multiple maritime seminars including the 1985 joint American-English American Bar Association meeting in London where he spoke on maritime punitive damages. He has published articles relating to maritime law, including The Unseaworthiness Doctrine and Seaman’s Assault and Pleasure Craft Personal Injury. He has been counsel in several landmark decisions for maritime workers. Mr. Cavin is also an AV Rated lawyer by Martindale Hubbell.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Admiralty/Maritime Law
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States of America
- Golden Gate University School of Law, San Francisco, California
- Saint Mary's College of California, California
- Panelist, Maritime punitive damages, Joint American-English American Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- AV Rated lawyer by Martindale Hubbell
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Association for Justice, Member & Past National Chairman - Admiralty Section
- Consumer Attorneys of California, Member
- San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Fellow
- Alameda/Contra Costa Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Alameda/Contra Costa Trial Lawyers Association, Past-President