Ronald H. Klein
Ronald H. Klein was born in San Francisco. He graduated with an A.B. from the University of California and an LL.B. from Boalt Hall Law School. He has been a member of the California State Bar since 1962. He served as the first law clerk to Hon. Stanley A. Weigel, federal judge in the Northern District of California. Following his initial work in general civil practice, his further legal experience has been concentrated in maritime law, primarily in the field of maritime personal injury.
His initial maritime work was with the Law Office of Robert C. Taylor, who represented P&I and L&H carriers, then with Taylor, Klein & Hazlewood. He was an associate with Acret & Perrochet, then after a year, was partner, then managing partner. He was of Counsel to the successor firm, Emard & Perrochet, then was in sole practice, all in San Francisco.
Along the way, he taught legal research and writing at Hastings College of the Law, as well as participating as a "judge" in their Moot Court Program. He spent several years serving as a mediator for American Arbitration Association. He has been a proctor member of the Maritime Law Association, and has been rated "AV" by Martindale-Hubbell for many years.
Mr. Klein joined Lyle C. Cavin, Jr. and Associates in 1996. He has been engaged in trial practice in the state and federal courts of California and handled appeals to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, California Supreme Court, and District Courts of Appeal.
He resides in the Bay Area with his wife of 49 years. He has 3 sons and daughters-in-law, and 4 grandchildren.
Areas of Practice
- Maritime Personal Injury
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- California, 1962
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1970
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 1990
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 1962
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1962
- University of California at Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, Berkeley, California
- LL.B. - 1961
- University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, California
- A.B. - 1958
- Container Stevedoring Co.
- Crawford & Co.
- J & H Marine
- Sea-Land Service
- Jon H. Roethke, Sea-Land, N.J.
- Donald R. Hazlewood, Saipan
- Philip Berns, United States Department of Justice, San Francisco
- J.A. Juergens, Crowley Maritime
- Ethics and Destruction of Evidence, PEN/CLE, 1992 - 1994
- Legal Writing & Research, Hastings College of the Law, 1993 - 1994
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Maritime Law Association, Proctor Member, 1974 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- Stanley A. Weigel, United States District Judge, Law Clerk, 1962 - 1963